- We just had one of those really messed-up weeks at my school:
Tuesday: 20-minute classes wedged between a poetry slam assembly and a risk behavior survey
Wednesday: normal except for an extended homeroom that shaved 2 minutes from each period AND we don't have end-of-period bells so actually you lose 3 or 4 minutes because the classroom clocks are not synchronized
Thursday: early-release and school-wide activities so no classes at all
Friday: normal 47-minute classes (finally!)
- Oh yeah, and Wednesday was Halloween. This was my "costume" which cost 5 minutes of time about $3 for a white t-shirt I can never use again.
- Progress reports came out on Tuesday (we're on a trimester calendar). I hate writing those things. I recorded this basic video in my classroom on Monday to explain some parameters of those reports, like the fact we can only type 500 characters! The video has 34 views and I teach 83 students, so that seems like time well spent!
- Students are working on an Election Scrapbook, which I divided into several GoogleDoc tasks so it's not a huge project. The most recent flipped lesson was a couple short videos about the directions for this project. That was a great idea, if I dare say so myself. I could identify about a dozen students who really didn't understand the purpose and structure of the task, so I could intervene and remediate long before the due-date.
- On Wednesday a 9th grader came back who I never expected to see again. It was a really pleasant surprise! He seems to be doing really well. Had really nice things to say about my class, and we were able to be really honest about how his school year started. This time last year he was NOT loving my class and I remember that well, so it feels tremendously rewarding to see and hear it from the student himself. Gives me hope for this year's crew!! Also glad that I recognized him right away because the boys always change the most because they have so much growing up to do. Sometimes I do not recognize them and it's really awkward, as I shared in a Facebook status last month:
Next week will be.... interesting. Maybe I will blog about it!