Weebly's stats claim that this blog gets 600-700 hits per week. Maybe most of them are bots or webcrawlers, but I have to presume there are some Real Human Beings reading this thing. From reading these blog posts, those RHBs might be led to believe that I am always flipping, and that I am always rocking it.
Nope. Not true. I have always tried to be honest about the actual performance and attitude of my students. In my previous post of Feb 15, I told you that the average grade on a major assessment was 84 (B). Granted, that was a subjectively graded open-response task, but still it demonstrates that we do not have 100% achievement here.
Perhaps I have not been sufficiently honest and transparent about other aspects of my life. Sorry, but this won't be a gossipy/melodramatic post: my marriage is fine, I still have a job, no trip to rehab, etc.... Still, I feel like I owe the RHBs a little more description about the other balls that I'm juggling in the air this year.
Last week was a school vacation week for Massachusetts and much of the northeast U.S. We took our annual family trip to DisneyWorld from Tues the 19th to Mon the 26th. I did not completely unplug (the Twitter and GMail apps remained on my phone this year), but it is the only full week of the calendar year when I do absolutely zero unit/lesson planning. Yeah, that's right: I get more done during the summer vacation weeks because I have no chill whatsoever. Well, just a little bit. In February. :) The burst of vitamin D is really helpful, and it gives us something to look forward to during the darkest winter days.
What else is going on in my life between blog posts??
- planning a flipped conference in June, which is way more work than I expected BUT also rewarding in terms of the people I have already met --- doors open in just under 4 months!
- finished a unit on the executive & legislative branches...
- ...starting a brand-new unit on Action Civics that has me alternately excited & terrified, because it means giving power to each class of students to choose a community issue and apply their civic knowledge to seek solutions
- continued work with the SSChat Network....
- ....and new membership in the iCivics Educator Network
- my youngest child signing up for courses for 9th grade next year ..... ACK! Am I that old?! Is she???
- Related realization: we will only have 2 more of those February vacations in Florida, because in 2022 my son will be at college!! [heart thumps to the floor]